Thursday 23 September 2010

SEAT SEX DRIVE

Yesterday I took part in the Seat Sex Drive at Prodrive Race Course in Kennilworth. The event was basically a way for Seat to promote their cars and the brand by getting people to partake in a boys vs girls race car challenge. Initially I thought it would be a bit naff but it turned out to be way better than I expected. Seat really put a lot of money into this one!

So what did I have to do? Well, I decided to challenge my good friend Tom Wood. We turned up there at half 8 for registration where we were given our own racing tops (Seat sponsored of course, as was everything) and sat down to a lovely full english breakfast. The mix of fellow competitors there was quite interesting, a lot of them older and proper petrol heads. A lot of them already had a Seat too! We were then briefed about the day ahead and introduced to our team captains! Vicki-Butler Henderson and Emma Willis for the girls and Jonny Smith and Jack Osbourne for the boys! I really didn't think the presenters would be there for the filmed auditions. We were then split into 3 groups and went our separate ways to start our first task.....PITSTOP CHALLENGE.





























































This was really interesting...4 cars...dismantled...teams of 5 still boys vs girls. Task: Put the car back together in under an hour. You were given a manual and 3 joker cards which meant if you were stuck or needed to buy time you could use these to get the technicians to help you for 3minutes only. Of course the girls lost this one but it was SUCH FUN! Had to fit brakes, tyres, lights, roof rack, fuses, window wipers and even a baby seat! You then had to drive out the garage to prove the car didn't fall apart. We still managed to be the best girl team of the last 2 days by completing it in 32mins. The last joker card we had was used to make the technician to press ups!

Then came a tasty lunch and our second task. Possibly my favourite one as I'm bit of a reckless driver....GLADIATOR ARENA. I was really impressed with this one as we had one car to two people and different (fit) instructors so there was no waiting around. Prodrive had set up a giant skid pad with sprinklers making it nice and slippy!!! Here we had to practise things like j-turns, avoiding obstacles (inflatable cars) at high speeds and doing handbrake turns in donuts. AMAZING! Well chuffed about learning j-turns shame I can't do them in my own car! This was also a really good way to get a feel of the Seat cars themselves and I definitely came away wanting one. Wish I got some photos though!


















Last Challenge: COPS & ROBBERS. A coach picked us up from the stunt driving and dropped us off a a very bendy race track where we were greeted by 2 Seat cars made to look like cop cars and a getaway car with 2 professional race drivers dressed up as criminals. Our challenge was to, in pairs, chase the robbers around the track, pick up any of their swag bags they had threw out the window and beat them back to the finish line. They made it trickier by making us swap over drivers half way through and avoiding obstacles like a baby's pram. Definitely the best challenge of the day for getting your adrenaline going! I only wish we could of had another lap! Sadly, me and my partner lost my about a second to the robbers but Tom successfully did it the jammy sod! At the end of the day the judges/instructors added up points according to how well tasks were completed and picked 4 pairs out of the 50 that were there to go through to the next round. Unfortunately neither me or Tom made it but we had a bloody good time and learnt a few tricks along the way. 10/10!
























No comments:

Post a Comment